Mango Lassi Delight

Recipe From: Laura


 
Boise Co-op is practically my second home—friendly faces, great vibes, a generous selection of healthy foods, and some of the best smoothies around. My go-to is their Mango Lassi.   The beloved smoothie is like a tropical vacation just living its best life--part smoothie, part dessert, and part emotional support beverage.  Sweet mango, creamy kefir, and warm spices come together in a smooth, velvety blend with just enough kick to feel a little dangerous.  With one sip, Mango Lassi delivers full-blown happiness vibes. 


One day, while at the Co-op as I waited at the smoothie bar for my loves to be made, I glanced at the ingredient list and thought, “I need to start making this at home.”  So, I did exactly that—armed with mangoes, my new found friend Kefir, unexpected sidekicks never used before and a little curiosity,  this mad scientist was on a mission to recreate it. After a few blends and a couple of taste tests, I finally landed on that perfect concoction I was craving.  Quick, refreshing, and every bit as satisfying as the original, maybe even more because it’s made right at home🥭✨ 


Notes:  As little misfits who rarely get their shot at a culinary scene, cardamom and rose water deserve a spot in your smoothie -- these are the two quiet little ingredients that pack a punch, elevating an ordinary smoothie into something unforgettable!

Even with just a hint of cardamom,  suddenly the drink shifts from simple and sweet to something layered & a little mysterious.  Like a subtle spicy-citrus aroma that lifts the mango’s richness and keeps the smoothie from feeling too heavy, it highlights its authentic signature.

The rose water balances the sweetness of mango so it doesn’t taste flat, while adding that signature “authentic lassi” flavor people recognize, plus it creates a beautiful contrast of a cool, creamy, warm spice.  Can be purchased at the Co-op.

 

1 c. fresh or frozen mango

1 c. Kefir*

1 scoop vanilla protein powder**

1-2 Tbsp honey

½ tsp cardamom

½ tsp rose water

1 banana (Co-op uses it but I leave it out for a more mango flavor)

Milk to thin, if desired

Crushed pistachios and hemp seeds, optional

 

Blend all ingredients together.  Pour into a glass, add ice if desired & sprinkle a lil cardamom, hemp seeds or crushed pistachios on top for a subtle, exotic warmth that ties it all together.


*Co-op carries a mango-flavored kefir made with cashew and coconut. There's other flavors, including regular Kefir.  Why use Kefir in this recipe? I suppose you could use milk or vanilla yogurt but it’s what Co-op used & I love the zippy flavor that Kefir offers.  This is what turns Mango Lassi into an authentic, lighter, tangier, more refreshing experience with an added bonus of probiotic benefits.

**I like Kono protein powder but use what you have.  Co-op uses Orgain brand vanilla flavor.  

Comments